The Best Places to Visit in Indonesia
Off the Beaten Path Travel Guide | 2 Week Itinerary
Indonesia is one far flung country. I’ve just returned from two glorious weeks traveling around four main regions in Indonesia and loved every minute of it. From a mud-slinging off-roading adventure in Bandung to the cultural heart of Yogyakarta then off to pristine untouched diving in Raja Ampat and my first surfing lesson in Lombok… Indonesia was unforgettable.
If you’re thinking of a trip to Southeast Asia and have already seen Bali, here are some of the lesser known islands and best places to visit in Indonesia.
For more photos, check out #shershegoes_indonesia on Instagram
Top Places in Indonesia to Visit
Yogyakarta (Jokja, Jokjakarta)
All the Best Places to Visit within 2 Weeks in Indonesia
Before You Go:
- I read up on the main sights and regions using this Indonesia guidebook before heading east. If you already know you want to spend your time in the sun and sand on Lombok / Bali, pick up this region specific book instead.
- Indonesia is the world’s largest archipelago with 17,000+ islands spread out across more than 3,000 miles so if you want to really explore, you’ll likely be flying from place to place. Set alerts with Skyscanner to be notified of the cheapest flights and book in advance. Domestically, we flew with Tiger Air and and Garuda and both far exceeded my expectations (in fact, they were better than the long-haul flights I took getting in and out of Indonesia!)
- Borobudur, the 8th century Buddhist temple is one of the world’s greatest religious monuments and best visited at sunrise, when the mist lifts from the mountains. The monument sells a special sunrise ticket – buy in advance and show up early, as it gets quite crowded.
- Bring sunscreen and extra strength mosquito repellent – lots of repellent. I counted over 50 bites on myself during the trip and arrived home looking like I had chicken pox! For face sunscreen, my favorite is this Biore one and for body I’m loving this Tropic one which smells amazing and is very moisturizing. I got eaten alive by mosquitos while there so I’d also recommend cortizone if you’re as allergic to the bites as I am
- Curious about what to pack for a trip to Indonesia? My packing guide and outfits post for females is here.
Click the toggles to expand each day. Outside of Bali, there are many fabulous islands in Indonesia to visit. I’ve focused this itinerary around culture, ancient ruins, good food and fabulous beaches.
Planning a trip to Indonesia? Save this post by pinning it for later or read the full series:
The Best Places to Visit in Indonesia Bandung, Yogyakarta, Lombok & Raja Ampat 2 Week Itinerary
What to Wear in Indonesia: A Packing Guide
Paradise on Earth: A Raja Ampat Travel Guide
The Farthest Place I’ve Ever Been: How to Get to Raja Ampat
Bali Without the Crowds: Lombok & Gili Trawangan (soon)
Yogyakarta / Jogja
Yogyakarta’s 10 Most Stunning Attractions
Is the Borobudur Sunrise Ticket Worth It? Here’s My Experience
Bandung, Bali & More
You Can’t Leave Bandung Without Seeing These 7 Sights
Looking to explore Bali? Check out this Bali hotel guide.
Follow Sher She Goes on
I was a guest of the Indonesia Tourism Board.